The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) is committed to providing top-quality interpreting services for deaf, hard-of-hearing and deaf-blind people who are accessing health care across BC.
We believe the Deaf community should be integrally involved in the delivery of interpreting services to improve equitable access, and we have been actively engaging with community members to better understand their current needs. Engagement work with the community is focused on future planning for a medical Sign language service. We are seeking input about opportunities to innovate, redesign and improve this service within existing available resources.
In 2016 PHSA began reviewing interpreting services for the deaf, hard of hearing and deaf-blind people. Through the review process, we learned there is confusion around what medical services are covered and how these decisions are made. We also learned that the community wants to provide regular input so the service remains current, and we need to utilize a comprehensive approach to the model to ensure the service is delivered consistently across BC.
Engagement meetings have taken place across the province, and more are planned:
- Kelowna – February 3, 2018
- Vancouver – February 16, 2018 and February 27, 2018 (Deaf-blind )
- Victoria – March 10, 2018
- Prince George – May 6, 2018 https://vimeo.com/266777069
In addition, we've posted an on-line survey with ASL translation.
When the engagement sessions are complete, a proposed service model will be presented to the community at a meeting in April to gain additional feedback. We anticipate that the model will have a deaf person lead the service and a mechanism for on-going two-way communication with the community. We will share details of this meeting with you when it is confirmed.
If you have questions, please contact the Director of Provincial Language Services, Kiran Malli at kmalli@ tỷ lệ kèo trực tuyến
www.eagleslocker.com. To attend an upcoming engagement meeting, contact Emina Dervisevic at Emina@rmdelaney.com. Please also consider responding to the on-line survey (https://tinyurl.com/pls-sign-language-engagement) if you cannot attend an engagement session.
Thank you for your valuable input. We look forward to reporting back to you on what the future of medical Sign language service could be.
Engagement Location Details:
1. Kelowna: 2pm, February 3, 2018, Pathways Seniors Centre, 150-D Gray Road, Kelowna, or
2. Greater Vancouver: 6:30pm, February 16, 2018,The Provincial Language Service, 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby.
3. Greater Vancouver: 5pm February 27, 2018, Douglas College, 700 Royal Avenue, New Westminster for Deaf-blind participants.
4. Vancouver Island: 1:30pm March 10, 2018, Quadra Room, Comfort Inn Hotel, 3020 Blanchard Street, Victoria
5. Prince George: TBA
TO REGISTER, please email firstname.lastname@example.org